Translate

Sunday 9 November 2014

Curved Top Gatefold Thank You Card

Just before it sells out I thought I would get one more card posted for the Tonic Studios POTW Topper and Inner Die Set on Create and Craft.

Today I've chosen to explain to you how I did the curved top and gates on this card, you do need an A4 cutting machine for doing this, I use a Grand Calibur.  I can only apologise for not taking more photographs of this but it was made as a sample for the Tonic POTW and I no longer have it.  The same goes for detailed photos of the construction.  I kind of designed it as I was going along and it was a little hit and miss until I got it perfect :/ some time next week I will remake this and add some photos for you. Edit:  Just remade it and added *lots* of photos!

First, taking a sheet of purple card for my base, I scored it on my score board at the Gate A4 line, turn 180 degrees and score Gate A4 again, fold these into the centre.


Taking the less swirly outer die from the Sending A Big Hug Semi die set line it up on the centre section of the card, tape it down either side and run it through your machine.








For the front 'Gate' sections, open out your card fully, and line up the die where you want it to cut, as you can see from the photo, I lined the highest part of my cut, which would be the centre of the semi circle, with the base of the cut on the centre section, tape this down.








Only the gate section will stay on your cutting board, the rest of the card and die just flop over the side so be accurate when you line this up and watch your card and die as it travels through the rollers so it doesn't get caught.












Remember that anything on the cutting board that has a die on it is going to cut!









You need to repeat this for the opposite side, making sure you get your gates equal.
























The waste will still be attached either side so just take your craft knife and nip these off.












For the decorative layers, cut a sheet of A4 card in half so that you have two equal A5's.  Line up the less swirly outer die from the Beautiful Wishes die set, position it at the top of your A5 card layer, tape it into place and cut.













Take the patterned die from the Butterfly Princess die set, line that up beneath your curved card edge leaving a small border, tape it down and cut.  This will be the panel that will be shown through your open card.













The panel for the gates is slightly different, you still need to cut the curved edge with the Beautiful Wishes die but when it comes to the patterned Butterfly Princess die you need to take a strip of scrap card approximately 1 centimetre in width and line it up in the centre of your die before placing it on your card.  You may need to fold your strip in half to make sure its thick enough.







That way the very centre strip of the die won't cut and this will allow you to cut the whole panel in half, leaving a border.










You will need to use a craft knife to take some of the waste out of the die as you need to keep everything attached in that inside strip.










Cut this in half centrally to give you a decorative panel for each gate, trim to size and glue into position.












The sentiment is what is cut from the POTW dies.  This is the Thank You Topper Die Inner Set. Cut the base in matching purple, same as your base card and the next layer down gets cut in white with the wording itself being die cut into that layer.  Glue these together and Place foam pads on the half that is going to be attached to the left card front.

Die cut a couple of butterflies from the Fae Trellis Topper set and finish off with a matching bow and a few pearls on the butterflies.

I hope you like this and that you managed to get hold of the POTW dies.  They certainly are selling fast :) Enjoy the rest of the televised demonstrations with Jodie on Create and Craft.

Karen x


11 comments:

  1. Stunning card Karen, i love the colours and the butterflies xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I will get more photographs on soon showing exactly how to make it :)

      Delete
  2. I loved this card when it jumped out at me on the TV. But im not quite getting the how for the gatefold sections without pics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked it, I'll just go and remake it and amend this post with the new photos, please check back, many thanks
      Karen x

      Delete
  3. Thank you for this, Karen. Is there anything we need to know to prevent possible damage to the die where it sticks out beyond the cutting plate, as it comes out of the machine?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not really Francis, I just keep my eye on it and hold onto the plates as they come through the other end to keep them straight
    Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous card Karen.

    Sian xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. love this card, have just found your site and I will be back (quite a lot lol). I adore tonic dies and am busy trying to collect as many as I can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Wendy, They are fantastic dies to work with xx

      Delete
  7. Absolutely beautiful card karen,luv the design and colours xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.
Karen x