Tuesday, 21 October 2014
Twelve Days of Christmas Wreath
To make the wreath I bought a 35cm polystyrene ring from my local craft shop. I cut strips of paper 4cm wide but found I needed a longer length than just A4 so I cut a strip in half and stuck it on to the end, making sure the pattern was following in the right direction.
I inked the edges of my strips using my Aged Photograph Distress Ink pad by Tim Holtz and stuck double sided tape along each long side and added some small strips to one end. I used thirty strips of paper all together and looped these one by one around the ring slightly overlapping, sticking them together as accurately as possible and making sure all my joins for making up the extra length were at the back.
I trimmed the ends into a dovetail and using a sponge, inked those too, just to match.
I die cut some flowers using the Oriental Lily die set, inked the petal edges, curled them with a scissors and stuck them onto a punched circle with some silicone glue for dimension. For the centres, I punched the stamens from the Peruvian Lily, Evening Primrose and Corncockle Punch and Stamp set and curled them in on themselves with an embossing tool and foam mat. Before sticking these in place I die cut some Sweeping Pampas elements and stuck those underneath.
After trying several failed attempts with different ribbons, I settled on the Tonic Studios Large Lacy Bow for the top as nothing else looked right, all my ribbons seemed to be the wrong shade.
I glued some ribbon to the back to hang but I think I'm going to invest in a Wreath Hanger as I'd hate for this to fall after all the work that's gone into it, it is only paper after all and would probably damage quite easily so I'm going to err on the side of caution with this.
I hope you like it and that it inspires you to be creative with whats left of your paper packs.